Monday 3 November 2014

Elizabethan Hair on Real Models

So far we have worked on our model's heads to practise and experiment with different hairstyles and techniques so in this lesson we got a chance to do a hairstyle on a real person's head. We did the same look that we had done on our model heads the week before so that we could compare. Below is the look that I achieved. (The details on how I achieved this look can be found on an earlier post.)

I was really happy with how my curls looked as I
had never got them to look this perfect before! 
Hair just after crimping.
Hair after the crimping had been brushed out.




















After I had brought all the hair over the padding. I really liked
how the hair was ombre because there were different colours in the hair.
Hair after the pin curls had been taken up and placed on the padding.
Close-up of the pin curls
View of hairstyle from the back
I was really happy with how my curls came out and how even they were because in my previous looks, the curls have been uneven or not straight, but I thought these curls were my best so far and I am happy that I can see improvement! I loved how my model's hair was ombre because the look had so many different colours in it, making it look a lot more modern and intricate. Unfortunately, I put the french plaits in the hair, straight behind the curls, meaning that there was no hair to pull over the front of the padding. Because of this, I had to wrap the ends of the hair round to the front to cover the padding, making the look a bit messy. I found it easier to hide the hair pins in the hair because the pins were closer in colour to my model's hair, than to my plastic model. I am not happy with the back of the hairstyle because it looks very messy. To improve this, I would have made a straight parting down the back and pulled the hair up tighter to give it a more polished and neat look.

I then decided to pull the curls right back, over the padding to see what effect it would give and I really liked the effect! I love how the two colours of the hair look very different. I really like how the darker hair almost looks like spiders legs or a cage. The look also reminds me of Cruella De Ville! I think this is a really good, modern twist on the traditional Elizabethan padding looks. I could have made the shape of the look more even, but apart from that, I am very happy with the outcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment