Friday 10 October 2014

Introduction to my Project Brief

Hi, I'm Becky, and I'm currently at Southampton Solent University studying Make-Up and Hair Design BA Hons. This blog will take you through my progress in my three years of studying. My first project is all about Elizabethan hair.

I am really excited to be working on Elizabethan hair because it incorporates so many different techniques to learn, for example, plaits, bun, ringlets, frizzing and padding. When I was first given the project brief I instantly thought of Elizabeth I strawberry blonde, frizzy hair, embedded with many jewels and pearls. I didn't think of how the other classes would have worn their hair or even how women in lower classes to Elizabeth I would wear their hair. I am looking forward to gaining more knowledge in these areas!

Upper Class
The hairstyles, hair colours and hair pieces were all led by and inspired by Queen Elizabeth I. The women, often married, had their hair swept up off their faces a lot of the time because of the big ruffs and collars framing their faces; however it was very popular for the young women to keep their hair long and keep it down as it showed their virginity and purity. Elizabeth was a fan of frizzy hair, so undoubtedly many women followed the trend; however straight hair with a middle parting was also very fashionable. Fair hair was the most sort after colour and to achieve this look women would dye their hair with a mixture of saffron, cumin seed, celandine and oil. Women would also wear fair wigs to achieve the perfect look.

Head pieces were very popular and would nearly always be matched to their accessories and clothing. This meant that the front and sides of the head were very important as they were on show. Women wanted to have large foreheads, as it was a sign of wealth and nobility, so they used to shave or pluck out the hair from their hair line to give the illusion of a larger forehead. This meant that fringes were a big no no! The head pieces would be made so that they kept the hair off the women's faces and the wigs worn would be pushed back further than their natural hair line.

Middle Class

No comments:

Post a Comment