Friday 5 December 2014

My Hair Design, Final Images and Evaluation

My Hair Design

I was initially really happy with my final hair design because it incorporated lots of plaits and french plaits, making it look really pretty and intricate. One of my favourite parts of my hair design was the french plaits over the padding because I loved how modern and unique it looked. However I was advised by one of my teachers that this, and also all of the other plaits in the look, would take too long for the time limit available. I therefore experimented with removing the french plaits over the padding or the flat french plaits in the look, but I thought that when I took away the flat french plaits it looked too plain. Another problem I found with my design was that the padding covered a lot of the french plaits on the sides so I didn't think it was worth spraying them as not much of them would be seen. This meant that I could only spray the top french plait, which I liked, but I thought it looked too much like a mohican, which was not the look I was initially going for. However I know like it because it definitely modifies the look as I can't imagine coloured mohicans were very popular in the Elizabethan times! I made my partner a step by step guide for her to follow and we talked through the look a lot until she was comfortable and confident with my design.

My partner, Charlotte, was nervous about my hair design because she wasn't very confident with her padding abilities and she had never done hair before. However after a few practices of me explaining how I wanted it done, she quickly improved and now feels more confident. We noticed that we never quite got the look finished in the lessons which concerned us, as she would only have 1hr 30 to complete the whole look in the assessment. We therefore decided that she would crimp my hair and also put it into sections before the timed assessment as her prep work, as this would save a lot of time.

I am really pleased with the final outcome and I can't believe how much Charlotte has improved with this hair design as at the beginning I was concerned she wouldn't be able to complete it. The padding is not perfectly even, but it is very close and the best she has done by miles, and I like that the padding is flat with the head. I am happy with the accuracy of the red spray paint. There are very few fly aways on the padding, making it look very smooth, clean and polished; however there are some hairs round the neck and ear that I would have liked to have been smoother away with gel. I really like the side view because if the detailing of the orange plaits and the padding looks straight. The bun at the back looks very wonky which is a shame as I think she has made it look better in the past. The plait is also wonky, leaning more to the left, which then makes the padding look wonky too. I would have liked the red and orange hair spray to have blended in slightly more with each other and for some of the red to have been seen in the back view. Overall I am really happy with the look and think that Charlotte should be proud of her improvements along the way.






No comments:

Post a Comment